Wednesday 16 June 2010

Another week at the Catch 22 magazine, and I have been asked to choose my dream publication for the work placement. But the catch is, I may not even end up there! So, what will happen to this favour-ism? Well, choose according to my strengths and then be professional.

As mentioned earlier, I have a long history in photography and what else could be more suited for me than a 156 year old photography publication. British Journal of Photography, if you already do not know, is targeted to any individual involved with the photography industry. It contains the industry news, dependable advice on technology, informative features and coverage on contemporary trends and photographers. It is also organises major event such as Vision, which brings leading professionals in the industry under on roof.


So why would they choose me? Having worked at as a photographer, I still maintain all the links in the industry; both in UK and abroad and I have the opportunity to find more un-spotted talents than most. I love photography and have the required critical & technical knowledge to write on that topic.


So, It would be a great opportunity to work in BJP at the Incisive Media, which is the publisher with a Business to Business market focus. They face competition from Professional Photographer and Photography Monthly, among others. But, BJP still have that slight edge because of their reputation and now, they are back to the original monthly format, printed in premium quality paper improving its image quality and its reproduction value. When, other publication cut costs and chasing customer; BJP is focusing on quality content to maintain their reader and attract more.


But, at the same time, will I be pushed to my full potential and challenged working only in photography sector? I have a varied interest and seek challenge, so, 'Don't Panic' or even daily newspapers such as the partner Trinity Mirror might be a good option. In fact , I recommend Don't Panic, it's a recent magazine I came across and is as varied as me in terms of subject.


Argh! confused as usual, leave some suggestions and check back to see where I end up!


No comments:

Post a Comment