Tuesday 8 June 2010

Writing your way out of the sticky situation

So, you are feeling like a guinea-pig in the wheel? Running in circles and going nowhere. You see I was there as well, still panting - but, I am recently getting out of that Catch 22 situation with the help of Catch22 Magazine. So, help yourself, Keep reading with your imagination wide open.


That might be a true representation of me about 2 months ago. Ooh by the way, I am Asif Iqbal. I graduated from the University of Hertfordshire in 2008 and I am still looking for a decent job! Working in a warehouse while, knocking on doors and getting rejected was just heart breaking and completely destroying my confidence. I won't bore you with me tales of woe, but after a long year and a half since graduation, when I was about to lose all my hope, finally, I came across Catch 22.

Their journalism training program was without any catch, suitable for me. I was quite frustrated by then any way, being an Asian with an Indian accent and ‘Paki’ face Muslim; I thought I am going to miss this opportunity also, so what is the point of applying? And at that point, Nina Grunfeld answered back to me via ‘The Life book’ “If you don’t shoot, you always miss”. So, I applied, got the the surprise call, used some great interview techniques from the following video and I was in.



It instantly gave a boost of confidence; Now, I have proved to myself that I was great for mute method of communication – sorry, forgot to tell you that I have long history as a photographer before this. Now, combining the journalism training and a pinch of pseudo-intellect with my photography, I was already picturing myself as the ‘Master of Mute Communication’!!

So far, it has been great. I have set my objectives for this program, so I can easily track my progress. Catch22 is giving me an insight in to the journalism industry; I wanted to build a network and improve my communication skills, so they gave me experienced tutors and an excellent training in partnership with ‘London College of Communication’.

And I am not alone; it is a great team with other budding trainee journalist, each with their unique character. We can easily relate to each other, in fact, in a long time, I feel accepted and my work is appreciated; especially now, after several terrible experiences in the retail world and with their ill mannered managers. Now I am realising that little bit of encouragement and belief has the power to take me far.

The bottom line is Catch22 may not provide anything close to what ‘Saturn’ would for their customers


But, it did provide with the reassurance and the tools to stand out in the crowd.



So, don’t lose hope, try new things and meet new people, real people. If you want to test your skills with word-play, contact Catch22, you don’t need experience and have nothing to lose. There are so many opportunities out there if your interest lies elsewhere. But, the key is to keep yourself busy with something productive.

That’s it, hope you found it useful. Send topics you are interested in - except for love life problems - and check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment